Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mamma said there would be days like this

My day began after only a couple hours of sleep. There was a threat of severe weather and I was finishing the laundry that was needed for the men in my life to pack which kept me up later than normal. At 4 A.M. I drove Mr. and DYS to the airport. I could have grabbed a couple hours of sleep after I got home before the babies actually got up, but in anticipation of them waking up at any minute I was unable to achieve anything but a very light cat nap. Baby 1 was not happy that Mr. and DYS were on a "trip" and proceeded to show me how unhappy he was about this all morning. Baby 2 is teething and getting no less than 6 teeth on the top sides at once. Needless to say she is a little bit irritable herself. By 10 a.m. I was ready to call a do over! For most of the morning I felt like I was just trading babies in and out of time out. I thought we might have a little reprieve when we put Baby 2 down for a nap but then Baby 1 fell against the footstool hitting the corner of his eye and getting a lovely shiner. By lunch time I was thanking God that the longest part of this day was over and counting out the hours until bed time! What else could happen at this point! Famous last words!

Just as I was taking baby 2 out of her highchair to clean her up I noticed that there was something green in her nose. On closer inspection it was decided that what was in her nose was a pea from her lunch. For the last couple of weeks, we have intercepted several items from being inserted in her nose. Her favorite item is pieces of toilet paper. My mind was busy trying to determine how I was going to get the pea out of her nose without injuring her when she inhaled and I could no longer see the pea. I decided to err on the side of caution and called the after hours pediatric center. They informed me that I was to give her nothing to eat or drink and that I needed to go the ER. Off we went. Thankfully the ER was completely empty and we were immediately taken to a room. Within minutes a nurse practitioner was with us. She had baby lay on the table and as she was screaming out of sheer anger I had to cup my mouth around hers like I was giving her mouth to mouth resuscitation and blow while the nurse plugged the nostril without the pea. It took four blows for the pea to pop out and in less than 15 minutes we were on our way back home. Who knew?

What a day!