Saturday, February 13, 2010

Guess Who's Home!

If you guessed our Dear Oldest Daughter
You guessed Correctly!
It all started a couple weeks ago when my baby sister asked what I was doing this weekend.
She made a pretty thorough of examination of my calender which at the time I thought was rather forward :) and then invited me to a movie today.
My mommy / older sister antennae went up and I later told my husband that
"she was up to something". Our 21rst wedding anniversary is the 18th so I thought maybe she was planning a surprise for that.
I had that feeling a couple more times but could not pin point why. We go out to the movies once or twice a year but she seemed to be making a big deal out of going and then was vague about which movie and what time.
Thursday, she asked me to pick our mom up for the movie which I agreed to. She told me they were taking her girls to their other aunts for the night and she did not think she would get back in time to get mom and get to the movie in time.
This morning I had a text conversation with my older daughter which amounted
to me lecturing her about being safe during Mardi Gras and staying with someone at all times.
She made a couple of odd comments that I wrote off to text message interpretation.
On my way to get my mom, my sister calls and tells me that she is at the mall and would I stop by Gap to check out dress she likes. My radar went off again but I still had no idea what she could possible be up to at the mall no less.
Off to Gap I go. Into the dressing room. At this point my sister opens the door to the dressing room. I barely even looked at her, instead I am looking down at the dress. Keep in mind that my dear youngest sister and dear old daughter have the same color hair, and could be twins depending on the lighting. In my cursory glance when the door opened I had not registered anything abnormal. So, I am standing there looking at the dress when I notice that there is an extra set of legs in the dressing room. As I looked up it took several seconds to realize that the person I was looking at was MY BABY wearing a dress! It just did not register that she was standing in front of me!
According to eye witness accounts, I completely lost my composer and began to scream and cry and hold onto MY BABY!
My sister had thankfully warned the people at Gap so they would not call the police!

The surprises were not over, my sister then drove us to the fairgrounds where the rest of my family was setting up for the beef expo.
As we came around the corner her grandpa was talking on the phone and looking right at her. He looked and looked and then his mouth dropped and just hung open in shock!
About the same time her brother and sister saw her.
Mr. was completely speechless!
I have been missing her something terrible lately and had even been talking to Mr. about driving to visit her in New Orleans before she headed back to California at the end of March figuring that she would not get any closer to home and knowing that it would be the end of June before we saw her. Mr. knowing how badly I was missing her was checking out plane fares to see if he could send me to her for a visit. My sister trumped all of those options and brought her home to us! She is all ours for four days.
We have to drive her to KC on Wednesday so she can return to her post.
WOW! What a surprise!