Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Door aerobices

This morning with the snow melting due to warmer temperatures and expected rain by Friday, I sent the children outdoors. One would think this would then imply that the mother, safely ensconced in the warmth of the house, would be able to put her feet up and relax for a few minutes. This however proves itself to be a fallacy.

Six children into boots, snow pants, scarves, gloves, coats, hats. This takes approximately 15 minutes. It is a highly demanding situation as waiting patiently is not a skill set achieved at these ages. I breath a sigh of relief after the last child is bundled and out the door. By the time I inhaled one child is back. I should have timed the intervals of their arrivals to the back door just for kicks. MDN3 has lost her glove no less than 3 times, lost a boot one time, has tattled at least twice, and needed to be undressed and redressed one time for the bathroom. MDN2 has lost her mitten once and came twice to complain about being bored. Baby1 has lost his mitten and hat at least 10 times. Baby2 has lost mitten and hat several times and needed comfort after being licked by the dog. MDMS has come to the door to tattle one time and needed correction after he was caught throwing snow balls at my decorative star hanging on the side of the house. MDN1 has happily occupied herself outside.

Please keep in mind at this point that the children have only been outside for 20 minutes! I have not sat down once or completed any single task that is on my list! I did however walk back and forth from the sink to the back door A LOT! I wonder how many "steps" I got in?