Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Seasons

Life is full of seasons. Solomon said it best in ecclesiastic 3 V 1-8; For everything there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

Some things like the calling to be a wife and mother are timeless. I will always be Jason's wife and my children's mother. The calling to be a wife and mother is timeless and yet there are seasons and they seem to be always changing. Time stops for no man or no mother as it may be. I have exited a season of satisfaction. Our daughter has graduated and is ready to enter the larger world. She will no longer depend on me for laundry, food, even housing. I am still her mother, but my season has changed and I am struggling to adjust. A time to grieve that she is leaving, a time to cast away and let her go.