Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Nanny State

My daughter received her first speeding ticket several weeks ago. She was given an $84.00 fine and sent on her way. Yes, we made her pay her own ticket and depending on how much our insurance premiums go up she may have to make up the difference on that as well. As her parents we felt that we had handled the situation just fine. Then, last week I got a letter in the mail from the department of transportation. It seems that under our state law our daughter and one of her parents must attend a drivers license interview in order for her to avoid further fines and / or the suspension of her liscence. Apparently, the interview is to discuss the actions that led up to the conviction. We are encouraged to think about what steps we will take to prevent further incidents and to discuss this with the DOT representative. The interview will take about 30 minutes. Several years ago the state passed new drivers legislation that included a graduated licensing for the ages 14 -18. These regulations included what hours the person could drive and consequences if they were involved in any violations or accidents. This interview is a requirement of that new legislation.

I find this incredible offensive. I am the parent and legally responsible for providing for this child. I give her a roof over head, food, clothing, a car, insurance to drive the car, health care and if she did do something that caused damaged to someone or someone else's property it would be her father and I that would be liable to pay for damages. The state has no liability so I do not understand why they feel like they can tell me when my child can drive or where. Now they are going to demand that I attend a meeting and discuss for a half an hour how my child got a speeding ticket and how she is going to prevent that in the future. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I wish the nanny state would stop attempting to do my job. I don't need or want their help in the raising of my children. Personally, they don't seem to be doing such a great job. Look at the state run educational system.