Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas baking

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is to give out goodies to friends who have been a blessing to us through out the year.

This years treats included Rosettes, sugar cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, vanilla covered pretzels, peppermint bark, peanut butter fudge, and sugar cookies. This year I found these cookie tray kits at Target. It made such a pretty package and presentation. As we all know the presentation is just as important as the treats!



My grandmother always had Rosettes at the family Christmas Eve celebration. When she passed away this was one of the traditions that I really wanted to maintain for my family so I ordered the irons and through trial and error began making these delicate little treats. It was several years after my grandmother passed away that I discovered that she never made the rosettes! She had found a woman in town who made them and she BOUGHT them!
I still chuckle about her little secret whenever I make them!



I had so much fun with the sugar cookies this year. I chose a day when everyone else was gone, put in Christmas movies and went to work decorating. The little gingerbread men have snowflakes for buttons. The Christmas trees have little peppermint candy canes nestled in the frosting. The yellow stars sparkle with silver sprinkles. The snowmen had holly buttons with red eyes, nose and a sprig of holly poking out of his hat.

Christmas baking is a labor of joy for me! I had wanted to add something new to my trays this year but I ran out time. There is always next year!