Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday November 23rd

Monday November 23rd, 2009

Outside my window

It looks like a nice day outside. I am hoping to get the dog out for a walk yet this afternoon.

I am thinking

about this quote from Martin Luther, "If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the word of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Him. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved; and to be steady on all the battle front besides, is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point.

From the learning Room
This will be an odd week with Thanksgiving on Thursday and Friday off. We missed school last Friday because of illness so we did Fridays work today and rather than get started on new chapters for only a couple days we are taking the rest of the week off. Before I made that decision I added up our current school days, feeling satisfied that two days off would not be a big deal.
From the kitchen
Friday - Pizza night
Saturday - ate out
Sunday - left overs
Monday - dinner at small group
Tuesday - kids choice
Wednesday - quesidillas
Thursday - Thanksgiving day I am making Waldorf salad, shrimp dip, and a pecan Carmel cheese cake.
I am wearing
my denim skirt and navy t shirt
I am praying for
confirmation about some choices that we are making.
For my DOD who will not be with us for the first time this Thanksgiving and will be missing picking out our Christmas tree! This is so hard on my mommy heart!
I am reading
A book called Amish Peace that a dear friend surprised me with last week. My favorite quote from it so far is this; "If you admire our faith, strengthen yours. If you admire our sense of commitment, deepen yours. If you admire our community spirit, build your own. If you admire the simple life, cut back. If you admire deep character and enduring values, live them yourself."
I am hearing
blessed quiet! It has been a busy day around here!
Around the house
preparations for Christmas will begin this week. I am not referring to shopping. That has already begun and will continue for several more weeks. I am talking about the fun stuff like getting our tree this week and decorating the house. Baking will begin. One of my favorite seasonal traditions is to give out goody trays to people who have been a blessing to us in the previous year. The dreaded Christmas letter is still to be written. I am looking for a theme for our letter this year but so far have not come up with anything spectacular yet.
DMD and I have been stitching like crazy. Below is a pic of my name tag that I finished for the embroiderers guild. We are also working on a state of Iowa embroidery project. I will have to get some pictures of that up soon.

A few plans for the rest of the week
We are having lunch with some friends on Tuesday. They are going through the same adoption process that we are and I am looking forward to chatting about that. Thursday is of course Thanksgiving. We will be spending that with Mr's family this year. Friday morning we are going to be at Walmart at 5 A.M. so DMD can purchase herself a lap top at black Friday prices. Then we will be headed out to get our tree. I am going to try my hardest to not cry the entire time. My heart just aches to see MDOD. Its hard to believe she will not be with us. The rest of the weekend will be spent baking and decorating. We may even take in a movie. Our whole family is dying to see the Blind Side with Sandra Bullock.

One of my favorite things:

I purchase this at the conference a couple weeks ago. It is a prayer rock bowl. Each rock inside the bowl has the name of someone or something that our family is praying for. I bought it as a devotional time tool for our family. The idea is that each person could draw out the name of someone to pray for that day. The rock can then be slipped into a pocket or set out on the table as a reminder to continue praying for that person through the day if there is a special need.