Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Night Tradition

Friday nights has traditionally been our family pizza and movie or game night. Granted, we tend to fall more to the movie end of the scheme. Mr. is a big fan of movie watching. We almost always make our own pizza's. Mr's mom first gave me the recipe for her pizza crust twenty years ago! It was her mom's recipe. I altered it a little bit by changing from all white flour to half white and half spelt flour. This is a picture of my cheese pizza from tonight. We all like different toppings so its fun to do individual pizza's.




Perfect Pizza Crust Recipe

  • 1 tablespoon of yeast dissolved in two cups of water.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • a dash of salt.
  • Mix in 2 cups spelt flour (or wheat) and 3 cups of white flour.
  • Kneed in additional flour until the dough is not sticky and let rise.

Helpful hints

  • For the perfect crispy crust we bake our pizza on cast iron pans.
  • To make it wonderful thin, I use my pampered chef pie roller and roll it out!
  • For a thicker crust I would push the dough into the pans by hand.
  • I always grease the pans a little so the dough won't stick.
  • To ensure a pizza that is not greasy, warm the pepparoni in a little water and pat them off with a paper towel.
  • Drain and rinse italian sausage.