Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Pride

Our middle child struggles with pride and a desire to perfect. Something I have no doubt she got a double dose of in her genetics since both her father and myself also have these issues. She is also very private and tends to cry. Myself, I prefer to yell and this crying thing is not something I relate to. In response to her almost daily crying spells we are attempting to get her to communicate and also trying to get her to understand that she is not perfect. She is going to make mistakes occasionally or more frequently and that its okay. She is not buying. Today I thought I would try a different tactic so in the midst of her crying over missing one of her spelling words I asked her why Jesus had to come to earth. Why did God send Jesus to die on the cross. Nothing but a shrug of her shoulder. I suggested she think about it. A few minutes later the tears started again. I asked her again why God sent Jesus to the earth to die on a cross. Again she shrugged her shoulders. At this point I am getting even more irritated. One at her for the tears (which I am fairly convinced are a form of manipulation) and two because I could not believe she did not know the answer and I was feeling a large portion of parental guilt over not having taught her this information. How did I miss the entire reason for Christs death in the children's education? I took a deep breath and suggested that she think about it for awhile and then we could have a good long talk about it if she still could not think about why it was necessary for Jesus to come to earth and die on a cross. Without looking at me she mumbled , "Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I know the answer I just did not want to say it. " Parental guilt gone. Child's pride fully in tact.