Thursday, May 18, 2006

Getting older

My oldest daughter is graduating from high school in three days. GULP. Am I really old enough to have a daughter graduating from high school in three days and turning 18 in two weeks? I guess I am since I caught myself making a comment the other day which included me saying the words, "twenty years ago." Am I really old enough to be able to comment on something from twenty years ago? The next time I renew my drivers license I will be GULP 40! Ironically, I am in better health than I was while I was in my 20's. I am much thinner, in great shape physically, more grounded mentally, my sense of humor is slowly but surely developing and I no longer wonder who I am. I know who I am. I know what I like and don't like. There is something to be said for that.

My sister made my birthday a special one for me. She drove me several hours to an Amish community to spend the day shopping and treated me to lunch at a tea house. She bought me an outrageous pink hat with hot pink feathers around it and I wore it proudly all day as we shopped. Did we ever get some funny looks. Although the majority of comments we recieved were from men and they were complimentary. When we entered the last store the proprietor looked up and declared that she was glad to see me. She had been hearing all day about the lady in the pink hat and she was beginning to think we were not going to come to her store. Small town news travels fast! And that is one of the many reasons that I love my sister.

Back to renewing my drivers license. I have officially taken the worst drivers license picture ever. They gave me the opportunity to view the picture on the computer. I thought it looked fine, but when I got my actual license I looked like an abused wife. My right eye appears half swollen shut and a peice of hair has flopped over my forehead and it looks like I have a nasty cut. It is really awful! My new goal is to not do anything that would require someone to want to look at my license!